RBC Shoppers Optimum Mastercard Review
The RBC Shoppers Optimum Mastercard is a no-fee credit card which earns you Shoppers Optimum Rewards points with every purchase you make. Perfect for those obsessed with Shoppers Optimum points, like me!
I love that this program is so simple. The points you earn from using the credit card are automatically credited to your Optimum rewards card each month and you see how many points you earned on your monthly statement. You can also track it all online.
- Annual Fee: $0
- Interest Rate (purchases): 19.99%
- Cash Advance Interest Rate: 21.99%
Shoppers Optimum Points:
- You’ll get 15 Shoppers Optimum Points for every $1 you spend at Shoppers Drug Mart
- You’ll get 5 Shoppers Optimum Points for every $1 you spend anywhere else you go shopping
- And the really great part? You’ll actually get 25 Shoppers Optimum Points for every $1 spent at Shoppers since you earn 10 points for every $1 you spend when you show your Optimum Card (15 points to use Mastercard, 10 points to show Optimum Card).
Earn 15,000 Shoppers Optimum Points on First purchase
Value of Shoppers Optimum Points
8,000 points = $10
22,000 points = $30
38,000 points = $60
50,000 points = $85
95,000 points = $170
One of the things I love about the Shoppers Optimum Reward program is the special event days where you can redeem your points for an even higher value (E.g., 95,00 points = more than $170)
Find out more about the RBC Shoppers Optimum Mastercard.
Want to Earn Even More Points?
RBC also offers a Shoppers Optimum Chequing Account. With the RBC Shoppers Optimum Banking Account, you can earn Points when you use debit.
- You’ll get 20 Points for every $1 you spend at Shoppers Drug mart. Presumably, you’ll actually get 20 Shoppers Optimum Points for every $1 spent at Shoppers since you earn 10 points for every $1 you spend when you show your Optimum Card (although, I couldn`t find this on the site)
- You’ll get 1 Point for every $1 you spend anywhere else you go shopping
The catch? The account comes with a monthly fee of $10.95.
The Account also offers a Welcome Bonus: 50,000 Bonus Points when you open the account and an additional 5,000 Points when you use RBC`s CustomSwitch service. However, to get the 50,000 Points, you must set up payroll deposit and complete 2 bill payments through RBC Online Banking (so obviously you must register for Online Banking as well). Using CustomSwitch to get the additional 5,000 Points means you have to transfer any pre-authorized transactions, close your banking account at another bank and transfer the balance to your new RBC Shoppers Optimum Banking Account.
I think the best deal is to just stick with the credit card! But if you’re interested, you can find out more about the RBC Shoppers Optimum Banking Account.